With 4th of July around the corner, Lake Havasu has sent out this Press Release with the fireworks that can and cannot be lit within city limits:
Be Fireworks Smart Before, During, and After Your Consumer Fireworks Display
The Lake Havasu City Fire Department encourages everyone using fireworks to celebrate safely and responsibly, especially around children.
Very common questions regarding the purchasing and use of fireworks have been:
What type of devices can I buy and set off on the Fourth of July within Lake Havasu City limits? Consumer fireworks include: ground and hand held sparkling devices, cone fountains, wheels, flitter sparklers, wire sparkler/dipped sparklers, cylindrical fountains, illuminating torches, ground spinners, toy smoke devices and multiple tube devices.
What type of devices cannot be bought or set off within Lake Havasu City limits?
Devices that are designed to explode or fly into the air and produce a report/salute are prohibited. Such as missile-type rockets, bottle rockets, torpedoes, jumping jacks, helicopters, sky rockets, roman candles, firecrackers, M80s, or cherry bombs.
Kathy Black, Public Education Specialist with the Lake Havasu City Fire Department would like to offer the following fireworks safety tips:
-Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Closely supervise teens if they are using fireworks and parents should not allow young children to handle or use fireworks.
-Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse.
-Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
-Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
-Fireworks should only be use outdoors.
-Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully. Wait 20 minutes, and then soak it in a bucket of water.
Soak spent fireworks with water before placing them in an outdoor garbage can.
Special tips for sparklers:
-Always remain standing while using sparklers.
-Keep sparklers away from hair and clothing.
-Never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers.
-Never hold, or light, more than one sparkler at a time.
-Never throw sparklers.
-Sparkler wire and stick remain hot long after the flames have gone out. Be sure to drop spent sparklers in a bucket of water
Remember: Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees-hot enough to melt some metals!
If you have any questions regarding the use, sale or possession of fireworks please contact the Lake Havasu City Fire Marshal’s office at 855-1141.